Who we are
The Blair Partnership is a literary and entertainment agency. We offer our clients a broad range of services including rights management, client representation and franchise management. As part of those services, we help to manage several companies on behalf of our client J.K. Rowling. Those companies are Pottermore and Bronte. These businesses benefit from shared resources and expertise provided by The Blair Partnership, but they are run by their own leaders.
There are three core pillars to The Blair Partnership’s business activity:
- Franchise Management – which encompasses brand & franchise vision and strategy, creative strategy & direction, product development, brand management & comms for the Wizarding World franchise
- Client Management - we represent our clients’ literary and entertainment rights portfolios and pursue commercial opportunities for our clients through deal making in the UK, US and internationally, partner management and backlist rights management.
- Governance & support - we provide governance and support to companies owned by J.K. Rowling. As part of that support, we cultivate close collaboration & strong, cohesive working practices between all the businesses.
Our vision remains to shape, nurture and grow the most imaginative and engaging brands for generations to come, working with our clients.
Our mission is to shape and connect stories to their audiences.
The Blair Partnership is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace where all talent and potential is valued. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives and recognise the value that this adds to our business.
What our team do
The International Publishing team is responsible for licensing translation rights in all TBP clients’ books. We work closely with the agents to coordinate on strategy for upcoming proposals and manuscripts, across adult fiction and non-fiction titles, and children’s fiction. We also manage translation rights in the Harry Potter series for which we have significant, long-term publisher relationships in many territories. We collaborate closely with the Brand and Franchise, and Pottermore teams to develop marketing and publication plans for Wizarding World titles internationally.
What you’ll be doing
Translation Rights Sales
- Work closely with the International Publishing Lead to develop sales targets and strategies for new titles by all clients
- Independently manage rights sales in your own territories to include France, Italy, Nordics, China, Taiwan and Korea. (There may be some flexibility with territories depending on your skills and experience.)
- Keep up to date with latest market trends in your territories and proactively establish new customer relationships and identify sales opportunities
- Assess potential for sales of new titles in your territories and budget for future deals
- Manage existing business and deals in your territories
- Manage the international publication process from licence negotiation to publication and beyond, including frequent updates to authors and related author care
- Attend London Book Fair 2021 to present new titles and actively follow up to secure deals
- Draft and negotiate complex international publishing contracts (with support from our in-house Legal team)
- Review and approve translated editions (covers, copyright notices, interiors), marketing plans and marketing assets for your territories
- Responsible for developing and implementing team revenue targets and strategies for backlist J.K. Rowling titles
- Manage relationships with key international Wizarding World publishing partners, providing a high level of customer care including frequent and close contact via phone/email/Zoom
- Work with the Brand and Franchise team to coordinate international publisher involvement in key franchise events and publications
- Create and project manage the rollout of Wizarding World marketing guidelines to all international publishing partners
- Facilitate and encourage working partnerships between key Wizarding World publishers and other franchise partners to establish cross-marketing opportunities
- Review and approve all marketing plans and assets from the Wizarding World publishing partners in your territories
- Direct line management of either the International Publishing Coordinator or the Senior International Publishing and Marketing Executive
- Manage and review your direct report’s development, scheduling regular catch-ups and giving practical guidance to help them to achieve their own objectives
What we’re looking for
- Demonstrable understanding of the global publishing industry
- Advanced negotiation skills and a proven track record in closing translation rights deals
- Specific experience selling translation rights in the above-mentioned markets is desirable
- Excellent relationship building and international account management skills at senior decision-maker level
- A broad interest in books of different genres
- Experience handling highly confidential information and materials
- Experience working for high profile authors and author brands and an interest in brand development
- A team player, preferably with experience managing a direct report
What you can expect from us
- Competitive Salary
- Company Bonus Scheme
- 33 days holiday (including bank holidays)
- Group Pension Plan where we contribute 5%
- Life Assurance of 4 times salary
- Health Insurance (currently with Vitality)
- Health Shield Cashback Plan
- Harry Potter Franchise Partner discounts and a free ticket to see both parts of Harry Potter & The Cursed Child
- Annual Creative Bursary
- Season Ticket Loan
- Cycle Scheme